List of the most important focus areas (science, education, engineering and technical research) for the StrAU in which the university will be highly competitive throughout the next 3-5 years
The competitive advantages of the StrAU, that have no analogues in the world, is connected with the unique monitoring database and research infrastructure, international collaboration with space orbital observatories INTEGRAL, SWIFT, PLANCK, Spectrum-RG; successful implementation of unique education and research projects; fusion of science, innovation and production which allows implementing research projects from idea to smart-scale production.
- Being one of the world leaders in gravitation and cosmological research KFU is focused on Dark Energy and Dark Matter investigation, astrophysical and cosmological problems of Axion Physics, formation of High-Energy Astrophysical Phenomena and evolutionary processes in Universe. KFU’s leadership in this area is supported by implementation of the new unique Master degree program “Gravitation and Theoretical and Observational Cosmology” in cooperation with leading international and Russian researchers and specialists. The Program is aimed to produce specialists both in the field of theoretical cosmology and gravitation and observational astronomy. The advantages of the Program are based on the international team of world-known professors, unique curriculum as well as modern research infrastructure. KFU’s breakthrough investigations in astrophysics and cosmology are proved by participation in the global research projects in collaboration with space orbital observatories INTEGRAL, SWIFT, PLANCK, Spectrum-RG. The most important is the ground-based support of Russian-German orbital Observatory Spectrum-RG which is planned to be launched in 2017.
- Unique research infrastructure (ММТ, Optical Telescope RTT–150, Meteor Radar) is allowed to monitor the fleeting space processes to ensure the safety of life and functioning of the equipment on Earth and in Space. Thus, during the last few years:
– extensive observation of 106 small planets and 22 hazard asteroids was carried out by the Optical Telescope RTT–150. Simultaneous observations of stationary and transient (on time and space) sources by using the MMT, with object’s coordinate transfer to RTT-150 for more detailed study, will allow the search and investigation of variables phenomena and objects in the near and far outer in the optical range (by means 0f RATAN- 600 – in the radio range). As for the simultaneous operational investigation of the distribution of meteorite material around the Earth’s orbit in the radio (meteor radar) and optical (MMT) ranges have not been conducted previously, they could consider as a breakthrough KFU project. The implementation of new Master degree program “Radio-physical Monitoring of Outer Space” is also planned.
- KFU is planned to become one of the world-known leaders in the development of distributed systems for monitoring the Near and Far Space, including the elements of the microsatellite-based platforms. The most prospective projects in this area are:
– development of the ground-based monitoring system of cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR) or “relic radiation”;
– designing the Phased Radio Antenna for radio interferometry with the long wavelength as a new level of Instrument Engineering, that allow to solve the essential problems of supporting the space positioning of satellites with the use of the cheaper complexes (which could be seen as a future of orbital measurements).
Development of experimental micro satellites by KFU could be seen a s a prospective field in Space Engineering which will be supported by implementation of academic program “Space Engineering”. To transfer the orbital data it is planned to use the satellite communication complex designed in KFU on the principles of physical cryptography. This new technology which has no analogues in the world could be adopted by Russian leading companies Rostechnologii (Rostec) and United Rocket and Space Corporation (URSC).
- The project is aimed to support the future planned Lunar, Interplanetary and Galaxy missions by development and implementation of the Selenocentric Navigation System which includes the coordinate navigation network, covering the Moon surface, model of landforms and parameters of Moon physical libration. This project is planned to realize in cooperation with the departments of United Rocket and Space Corporation (URSC) responsible for the Lunar missions. The implementation of the Master degree program “Mathematical and Information Support of Space Activity”.
- Implementation of the unique set of Master degree programs and effective exploration of space activity results is aimed to solve the wide-range of national scale as well as interregional and inter-sector problems. Being one of the national leaders in this area KFU strives to ensure the consistency, efficiency and continuity of the production process, transfer and information, infrastructure facilities and territories management. The implementation of such interdisciplinary Master degree programs as “Space geodesy”, “Space Ecology”, “Space Technology in Territory Management” could help to fulfill this task (programs have no analogues in Russia).
Another KFU advantage is the leading role in popularization of Space and Astronomy in Russia. Having the unique Planetarium KFU is targeted to realize the University’s Third mission as a Centre for Science Popularization by organizing many conferences, schools, Olympiads and competitions to popularize Space and Astronomy for children and youth.
Impact of the development of the StrAU on the activities and indicators of the university’s “Roadmap”
The StrAU is planned to make the significant contribution to implementation of the KFU Roadmap by the development of new Master and Doctoral programs, invitation of external experts and improving international competencies of research and teaching staff, attracting talented students, doctoral candidates and young researchers, widening the academic mobility and enhancement of university management system.
Implementation of the StrAU project will let Kazan Federal University take the 51-100 place in the QS ranking by subject area «Physics and Astronomy” (according to the KFU Roadmap target indicators). In basic terms, the share of the StrAU is planned to be higher than the average at KFU.